Monday, July 16, 2012

Hair cutting adventures in Phnom Penh


I don't know about you, but boy do blow dryers make me sleepy. It could be the warm air, the sound, or the warm air, but I swear, every time blow dryers are trained on me, I get so sleepy I fear I'd sleep in a snap.

But enough about that. How was your weekend? Mine was so-so, save for the hair cutting adventure I had last Saturday.

Well, it was the first time I had my hair cut in Phnom Penh, and I was quite apprehensive because sometimes these communication barriers do prove to be a challenge, especially when it comes to hair. I wouldn't want to go out of the salon sporting a Mohawk, would I? Then again, a Mohawk sounds cool, too.

Anyway, I decided to brave the big unknown, close my eyes and take my pick among the many salons in the city. I chose one that was a regular place for my brother to have his haircut which was located at Parkway Square.

Crossing my fingers, I went in, and said 'hair cut?' And the ladies said, 'yes.' And off we went to a good start. I made sure I used hand gestures to indicate up to where the hair should be cut and styled, and said 'Cut here. Okay?' indicating my shoulders. Then added 'my face fat, make hair cut nice on my face please?' I really had no idea what I was trying to say, but I said it anyway... I just did not want to come out looking as round as a basketball. To which the nice lady said 'Yes.'

So the hairdresser snipped, cut, snipped, and cut again until my long gorgeous locks were dismembered and around a good 5-6 inches fell gracefully to the ground.

She then asked me, 'shampoo okay?'

I said, 'nahh, is okay.'

She replied, 'shampoo, cut, blow dry is $7.'

And I shook my head saying once more 'nahhh, is okay.'

When they took the robe thingie off of me, I thought the cut was done, but then one of the assistants called me and led me to the back where they shampoo people. Hmmm.. I realize now that I should have said, 'no, thank you.' But c'est la vie!

So the assistant shampooed my hair - twice! - and turned the massage feature of their shampoo bed-thingamajig. Unfortunately, it was not as comfortable and relaxing as I had hoped as the assistant just had to use her nails whilst massaging my sensitive scalp. You could say that I tried a couple of times to sit up, or move her hand away from my head, but to no avail. All I could do was grit my teeth and prayed to God that my hair would not fall off from the harassment it was getting. I would not be so surprised if it bled, too!

But surprise, surprise! I survived!

They then led me back to my chair where the assistant and the hairdresser took one side each of my hair and blow dried it from here to kingdom come! They also sprayed some fancy shmancy stuff on it that I do not recognize and used some serum.

Then for the big reveal... voila! I looked... normal. Hahaha PRAISE THE LORD!

Though my scalp was still slightly tingling, my hair did not fall off. I am aware that massaging one's scalp is good, but good Lord that was more than a 'massage'! Still, I lived.

While I am not so sure if I will be going back there for my next hair cut, I think things could have gone better if I managed to communicate my feelings well. But it is not so bad. People are saying I look nice. So.. yay! :D

Also, most importantly, the husband loves it. Weeee... cheers to the fr****n weekend! :) Drink to that! Hahaha

Have a fantastic week everyone!

2 comments:

  1. congrats at hindi na-murder ang hair mo! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeee! Yeah! I got lucky! I swear... its hard to get what you want at home, and its harder if you have communication problems. LOL So far, so good. :D

      Delete