Friday, July 20, 2012

Food Trip Friday: OM NOM NO...

Confession: I am not THAT adventurous when it comes to food. Call me 'BORDERLINE PICKY.'


It's like I've never outgrown the phase where I would pout and say, "NO." when my mom feeds me things that do not really appeal to me.

You could say that when I was younger, I think there were some instances where my mom would threaten to shove food down my throat, or worse, perhaps tell me horror stories of going blind if I did not eat yellow vegetables. I think that was partially true though - I do sport eyeglasses.

However, over the past few years, I have attempted to become more adventurous with food. I have tried eating more dishes that I would normally ignore. In short, I am growing up... well, maybe not THAT much. Still, progress IS progress.

I already gave myself a good pat for being a good girl and trying out new things, until my newfound Khmer friends introduced me to this delectable dish (photo taken by my cousin).


Yes, folks, those are grilled centipedes. Hmmm...

I don't know about others, but whenever I see a centipede, I imagine the words "WARNING!" flashing near it... if I am close to it, that is. I always thought that these lil critters were deadly, lethal even, but apparently there are some that are lethal, but not all.

I learned that in Cambodia, there are a number of insects that they consider as food. Oh, sure, I've seen crickets being eaten as well. But as semi-adventurous as I am, I draw the line at insects. It's just that insects and I have a hate-hate relationship, and I am squeamish.

My husband thinks that the cure for my 'bug squeamishness' is for me to actually taste bugs... *gulp* No thank you.

For the curious ones, here is a nice link that will show you how to cook certain types of insects. Some of these include tarantulas, scorpions, locusts, crickets, and the like.

As for me and my stomach, we believe that 'Insects are soon-to-be friends, not food.'

Thank you!


FTFBadge

5 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! So creepy!

    Visiting for FTF- hope you can stop by..

    http://myrecipecollection.info/2012/07/dairy-queen-ice-cream-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i caught a centipede under the kitchen sink the other night and i screamed! my mom thought i saw a snake. LOL my friends call me adventurous but after salagubang, i don't think i can eat a centipede. :p

    Grilled Turkey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this here in PP. But I have seen lizards being BBQ'd also.
    I'd say no thank you as well. Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. waaah! i don't think i can eat one. >_______<

    ReplyDelete