Saturday, September 1, 2012

Apples and Ton Lob (Persimmons)


Everybody, I believe, needs to start eating healthier these days. With all the processed food that we consume, it is no surprise that most people are now becoming slower, more sluggish, and just plain unhealthy.

I've taken it upon myself to eat healthier and since Phnom Penh is not known for its abundance of seafood - the kind I happen to like - I have resorted to eating fruits and vegetables. Still working on decreasing the amount of rice intake though.

Today, while munching on an apple, one of my Khmer friends dared me to try a fruit called ton lob (tolep). They said its one of the fruits common to their country, and a definite 'MUST TRY' for a foreigner such as myself. I tried asking them for the English name of the fruit, but they said they believe this is a Khmer fruit - thus possessing a Khmer name only.

After further investigation (read: Google-ing), I discovered that ton lob (tolep) is also known in English as a persimmon.

Persimmons are fruits I've read about in books and I think I've seen pictures as well, but I have never seen in real life. Not sure if this fruit is available in the Philippines, but I would have tasted it if it were.

The persimmon I had on hand looked very much like those plump red tomatoes - only it was orange  - which prompted me to ask if my friends were attempting to fool me by making me eat a tomato disguised as a fruit. But when I held it, it was actually heavier than a tomato, and definitely more solid. After my friend cut it up and set it next to my apple, I had no choice but to try.



I guess you could say, good things come to those who try. harhar because it was delicious! Really, really delicious. Albeit it was not THAT sweet, but it was fulfilling. Yum!

I hear you can purchase persimmons around Phnom Penh in any of their markets. I might as well ask my friends to buy more for me. Or at least point me to the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment