Friday, June 29, 2012

Food Trip Friday: Nom Korng

FTFBadge


One of the dishes I've had the pleasure of trying out in Phnom Penh is nom korng or the Khmer caramel donut.



I've only tried it twice and although I can honestly say that I can go through a box of donuts faster than a bag of chips - on most instances - I was only able to finish one nom korng per occasion.

Perhaps it is the consistency of the delicacy, or the caramel glaze that allows me to be satisfied after a single donut. Nevertheless, it is something that goes great with hot coffee as per experience. Others may have it whichever way they prefer.

I poked around the Internet and found a recipe for nom korng for those who are interested. I truly want to try making it as well - if I have the time. This one is brought to us by Chanbo Keo (http://www.chanbokeo.com/).

Ingredients: 
3 cups Sweet rice flour
1 cup Regular rice flour
2 cups Water
3 cups Sugar
Roasted sesame seeds
Cooking oil 

Preparation: 
1. Mix both flours with water, roll into a donut-like, finger sized and deep fry till crispy brown, scoop out and drain it.
2. Heat the sugar with some water, till it turn reddish in color. Dip one side of donuts in sugar and lay it on a tray.
3. Sprinkle it with roasted sesame seeds and serve.

I hope you enjoy it! ;)


2 comments:

  1. Donuts look so good:)

    Visiting for FTF- hope you can stop by..

    http://myrecipecollection.info/2012/06/boneless-ribs.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. rich and yummy! visiting from FTF. have a great week, see you around. :)

    ReplyDelete