Friday, June 22, 2012

Food Trip Friday: The Art of Salad Layering

FTFBadge


One of the things that I have learned during my transfer to Phnom Penh is how to do salad layering.

Though I am not a pro, I am proud to say that I have learned this art and it is quite useful, especially if you and your friends are presented with an awesome salad bar.

If I may, I'd like to share with you the Art of Salad Layering so that you may reap the rewards of maximizing your servings at the salad bar.

Before we begin, I feel the need to inform you that one needs practice before perfecting this art. Also, we only use this secret weapon when faced with a salad bar at a restaurant that does not allow guests to have second, third or fourth helpings.

Stage 1.


  1. Retrieve bowl to use. Note: Please see how small the bowl is in the picture.
  2. Fill bottom portion of the bowl with coleslaw to create a foundation.
  3. Line rim of the bowl with carrot sticks as shown in the image above.
  4. Line the bowl with lettuce leaves to mimic a bigger bowl.
  5. Fill with delights from the salad bar, preferably the ones that are pasta, corn kernels, and seafood bits.

Stage 2.


  1. Line rim of the bowl with carrot sticks or cucumber sticks. Carrot sticks are often imperative during stage one.
  2. Line the bowl once more with lettuce leaves, extending the bowl further.
  3. Add salad delights that you want.

These are the two basic stages of salad layering. Stage 2 is often repeated again and again as long as the bowl manages to hold up. Proceed with caution!!!

In the past, I've seen some people reach as far as 5 layers. How they have managed to do that without spilling this way and that, escapes me.

I tell you, it is definitely art! Go ahead and give it a try!

And remember, TRY AND TRY UNTIL YOU SUCCEED!

Have a Happy Friday everyone!!


4 comments:

  1. I used to have been a master at salad layering when Wendy's had a salad bar here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this well when Wendy's still let you make your own salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To peachkins and jellybelly, i guess we shared the same memory with Wendy's. They should consider bringing it back. Ann, you really have the skill to do it. I would love to top it with thousand island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @peachkins and jellybelly: cool! do you guys have additional tips on this salad layering? :)

    @real lady: thanks, but really I am a newbie at this. ;) oh yeah, thousand island would be the real cincher.

    Thanks for dropping by! :)

    ReplyDelete