Thursday, November 1, 2012

Last Indulgence at The Blue Pumpkin


So today my colleague and I decided to dine out for a change.

After quite a few minutes squabbling over the destination, we finally made up our minds and declared that The Blue Pumpkin would be the place to be.

Both of us have not eaten at The Blue Pumpkin yet, so we were a bit apprehensive - especially since we heard rumors about the high prices. Needless to say, we went ahead with our plan and planned to eat pastries if we were not comfortable with the prices.

For my part, I was a bit surprised since the prices were not exactly stellar high, but I guess it is higher than other places.

Upon first entering the place, I was giddy with anticipation as there were simply a lot of pastries that looked de-lish! That, plus the tons of ice cream that greeted me as soon as I stepped inside.

My colleague made her initial order, while we went up to the second floor to grab a booth and see other options.

Upstairs, I spotted the famed bed-couches which looked ultra comfortable and inviting. However, since it was crowded when we arrived, we opted to get a table and get our orders done and over with.


The food:

My friend already ordered her Farmer's Salad ($5.50), while I opted to try something new by choosing the Open Face Chicken Sandwich ($5.50).

 Farmer's Salad has ham, chicken, eggs, cheese, iceberg(?), tomato, and mustard vinaigrette.

Open Face Chicken Sandwich has ratatouille, basil, bacon, and cheese in panini bread.

We also ordered some dessert to make the meal complete. I had the Chocolate Fondant ($3.75), while my friend had the Home-made Yogurt w/ Fruits ($3.00). Yes, she is definitely the healthy eater between the two of us!

Home-made Yogurt with Fruits (pineapple, watermelon, and dragon fruit).

Chocolate Fondant with caramel and cashew ice cream.

The ambiance:

The place itself relaxing, although with the white theme, I cannot help but find the floors a bit dirty. Maybe because it was lunch time and several people already went through it? In my mind's eye, I pictured a crisp white place that was both comfortable and quite clean. It is, after all, white. But it was not what I expected. Still the ambiance and comfort was okay enough.


The location:

The Blue Pumpkin we went to is located along Preah Sisowath Quay.

Image from Your Phnom Penh

Menu pictures:


Conclusion:

The food at The Blue Pumpkin was quite delicious. I found myself enjoying the dish I was served. The Open Face Chicken Sandwich was big and fulfilling, and I loved the mixture of the flavors and cheeeese (huge fan of cheese). Although I am not a huge fan of basil, so I felt the basil coming back up an hour or so later. For the Farmer's Salad, it was delicious looking, but we found the mustard vinaigrette a bit too overwhelming. But maybe because we are not used to it.

The dessert, on my behalf was the highlight of my meal. LOVED IT A LOT. My friend, however, had trouble finishing her fruit mix. 

Although not perfect, the food was satisfying and I think The Blue Pumpkin can be given another try. I do love their cakes, pastry, and ice cream. That's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment