Friday, January 18, 2013

Mayday Mayday Mayday!


Crisis. Such a cringe inducing word that even the most powerful presidents groan at the thought. 

Crisis.

Nothing shapes a person or a nation more than crisis, also goes under the name 'Stress.'

Today's Daily Post challenge forces asks us to be honest with ourselves and inspect how we react to crisis situations. It also asks us whether or not we are happy with the way we react when these situations come a'calling.

I took a quick 15 minute break to ponder about this in the loo, and I believe I have come up with a good answer to this question.

I've come face to face with several crisis situations throughout my entire life. Because of this, I have learned to react to crisis by facing it head on. Mostly.

Okay, so the given drama comes before facing the crisis. But I'd like to believe that is normal. In most circumstances, my usual reaction is this:

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY! -> Oh, NO! -> I CRY... -> ENOUGH CRYING! -> BERSERKER BARRAGE!! -> ...

Something like that.

However, there are certain situations where that is not always the case. This often happens when my family is affected by the crisis. The above reaction is for situations when it affects myself especially when facing personal demons. But for situations like when my daughter cut her hand and she bled profusely, this was my reaction:

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY! BLOOOD! -> Oh, NO! -> FIX/HEAL -> if HEAL does not work -> HOSPITAL! 

FYI: Blood makes me weak and queasy.

If its not health related, the reaction is more like:

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY! -> Oh, NO! -> FIND WAY TO FIX IT

I often don't spend time wallowing in the crisis especially when its urgent. Somehow, I think I am proud to say that I have been lucky enough to find solutions and managed to survive.

To be perfectly honest, I am quite happy with how I react to crisis situations. I could have cowered or become totally useless, so I am happy with that.

However, I learned quite recently that there is something that I need to improve about my crisis response. That is trusting others. I've always had to deal with crisis response by myself throughout the years, so much so that I find it hard to lean on others or trust that others will be there. Maybe even now, I still don't believe in it THAT much. But I am learning.

I must always remember this:




No comments:

Post a Comment