Tuesday, August 7, 2012

To Sir, With Love

I like writing emails. Do you? I've said this perhaps a thousand times in the past, and those who've read my previous blogs would say, 'Yeah! Yeah! You like writing emails... we KNOOOOOWW!!' But since this is a new blog, heh, I would like to inform you that I do love writing emails. Impossibly lengthy ones that sometimes my friends mistake it for a novel that I have created. But no, I am not a novelist - but I do like to write!

What my friends do not know, however, is that despite the fact that I love to string up stories, rants, complaints, and nonsense in my emails, there is one thing about emails that siezes me with a mixture of apprehension, dread, and a certain amount of queasiness... the valediction.

For those may not know what a 'valediction' is, this is the part at the end of the email, just before you sign your name. Maybe some of you do not use valedictions now with your emails and whatnot, but I do use these even though it makes me uneasy.


It is not really a problem when I am emailing my friends because I could always sign using XOXO, or 'Love,' or nothing at all. But in general, I pause to think, "How do I end this?"

I used to love using the classics such as: "Best regards," "Bests," "Regards," etc. But now, not so much. While I do know when to properly sign formal letters with "Respectfully," "Respectfully yours," "Sincerely yours," and others, I am still on sea legs when it comes to the informal parts. Gah.

Let me tell you a secret: It takes me at most an hour to decide what to use as valediction whenever I send work emails.

As of late, I have resorted to using parting words as valediction. Although I've read somewhere that these may not exactly be acceptable. I don't want make my boss rethink his decision to hire me over a nutty valediction, but I cannot bring myself to make serious declarations in emails by saying "God be with you," "Truly yours," "From the heart," "Forever yours" Hah! Okay, I'm kidding on those things, but sometimes you want to be light but still present.

Help?

If I had my way, I'd sign my emails with the following: "Ciao," "Fare thee well" (but this is not ancient times!), "Smell you later," (but they might think I smell them through email!), "Think of me" (uh, no) "Toodles," (cute, but I think I'd sound ... not like myself!). Hah. No, I won't use those, but I will figure it out one of these days. Besides, since Cambodia is still in its infancy when it comes to English and slang, I've been asked in more than one occasion what the heck I was talking about. It can be tiring to have to explain.. and in most instances the brunt force of the joke is lost. Le sigh.

One time, I signed "May the Force be with you!" and a former colleague asked, "Why are you forcing me?" ... Nevermind. Or maybe I didn't get the joke? Hmmm...

What about you? What valedictions do you use and what do you think is appropriate for work emails?

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU! 

Cheers!

Arrivederci!

Stay happy!

Stay healthy!

Take care!

Ta-ta!

Toodle-oo!

Write to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment