Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sleep is for the Weak


“I've always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner, the floorboards of the skull well swept, all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed.” -  David Benioff, City of Thieves
A year ago, if somebody asked me about my sleeping habits, I would've said, "I have no problem. I sleep like a log." Which was true by the way. So true, in fact, you would just snap your fingers as I hit the pillow and I'd snore from here to kingdom come. Yes, that is a by-product of exhaustion and juggling more than 1 job.

These days, however, I've found sleep to be elusive. Though my talent in sleeping in a blink of an eye remains, it only happens when I get a foothold of the train to dreamland. Other than that, I toss and turn and make it seem like the bed is too small, too hot, too uncomfortable. This is so weird.

I've never had sleep problems, but as of the past few weeks, I've found myself simply awake until the wee hours of the morning, with thoughts running around my mind, complete with background music and narrators.
Take last night for example, I figured out that I was already asleep because my eyes were drooping after doing some reading. So I shut off the light, closed my eyes, and then... waited. But nothing came.

Instead, I hear Bob Marley in my brain talking about life, hardships, and I forgot the rest. I was not looking at Bob Marley, but he was definitely talking about what's going on in the world. Hmm.. when I tried to think about white clean spaces and focus on my breathing instead, I conked out for a few minutes, and then 'Could You Be Loved' starts playing in my mind. Just the chorus part though.

I guess I do not have to tell you the excruciating details when one suffers insomnia, but I can tell you for sure, it is anything but quick. I think I managed to nod off to sleep at around 3 a.m., and then woke up at 6 a.m. Normally, that is fine with me because I used to work like that. But these days, it is not so nice.

Oh, and you can forget about me going online during those hours. Aside from having trouble sleeping, I am also getting bored with the Internet. After being online since 1998 or 1999, I think that I may be a little bit tired of it?




No comments:

Post a Comment